World close to ‘irreversible’ climate breakdown, warn major studiesNieuws
Datum: 27-10-2022 GuardianThe climate crisis has reached a “really bleak moment”, one of the world’s leading climate scientists has said, after a slew of major reports laid bare how close the planet is to catastrophe.
Collective action is needed by the world’s nations more now than at any point since the second world war to avoid climate tipping points, Prof Johan Rockström said, but geopolitical tensions are at a high.
He said the world was coming “very, very close to irreversible changes … time is really running out very, very fast”.
Emissions must fall by about half by 2030 to meet the internationally agreed target of 1.5C of heating but are still rising, the reports showed – at a time when oil giants are making astronomical amounts of money.
On Thursday, Shell and TotalEnergies both doubled their quarterly profits to about $10bn. Oil and gas giants have enjoyed soaring profits as post-Covid demand jumps and after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. The sector is expected to amass $4tn in 2022, strengthening calls for heavy windfall taxes to address the cost of living crisis and fund the clean energy transition.
All three of the key UN agencies have produced damning reports in the last two days. The UN environment agency’s report found there was “no credible pathway to 1.5C in place” and that “woefully inadequate” progress on cutting carbon emissions means the only way to limit the worst impacts of the climate crisis is a “rapid transformation of societies”.
Current pledges for action by 2030, even if delivered in full, would mean a rise in global heating of about 2.5C, a level that would condemn the world to catastrophic climate breakdown, according to the UN’s climate agency. Only a handful of countries have ramped up their plans in the last year, despite having promised to do so at the Cop26 UN climate summit in Glasgow last November.
lees artikel/document (opent nieuw scherm/tabblad)
Deel dit bericht
- 18-01: Zo hard zijn de oceanen opgewarmd in de afgelopen halve eeuw
- 12-01: Zeewater vangt 90% van opwarming op
- 03-11: Waarom 1,5 graad niet zomaar een getal is
- 03-11: In Europa al ruim 2 graden warmer, dit is hoe het klimaat hier verandert
- 14-08: Climate endgame: risk of human extinction ‘dangerously underexplored’
- 14-08: 'We're looking at Billions of People not being able to Survive' | Peter Carter, Expert IPCC Reviewer
- 25-07: Best Earth animated global warming projections
- 20-07: Klimaat in Nederland al lang meer dan 2 graden warmer
- 27-06: Climate Emergency Truth- Way Worse
- 27-06: Lukt het op binnen de 1,5 graden doelstelling te blijven?
- 31-05: Greenland Ice Sheet Atmospheric River - Rainfall, Heat and Albedo Feedback Impacts - short version
- 21-04: Four ways climate change will destroy our civilisation
- 18-04: The Doomsday Glacier Is Collapsing…Who Is Most at Risk?
- 23-02: The Antropocene: Where on Earth are we going by Will Steffen.
- 21-12: Sir David King: Climate Leadership, COP26, and 20 Degrees of Warming?