The Doomsday Glacier Is Collapsing…Who Is Most at Risk?Video
Datum: 18-4-2022Sea level rise is a problem that is garnishing increasing attention among both scientists and the media. And as climate change continues to warm the earth, the current rate of 1.4 inches per decade is projected to increase, with NOAA predicting another foot of sea-level rise along US coastlines by 2050.
The most consequential tipping point, when it comes to sea-level rise, is Thwaites Glacier, also known as the Doomsday glacier, located in West Antarctica. When this massive ice sheet melts, the earth’s seas are predicted to rise by at least two feet. But perhaps the greater concern is what will happen to the surrounding ice once Thwaites is no longer there to stabilize the region around it. Many scientists predict that, were this system to completely collapse, we would actually see around 6 feet of sea-level rise – a truly catastrophic scenario. In this episode, we explore just how likely this dire outcome is, take a look at how America’s most at-risk city, Miami, is already experiencing the effects today, and what all of this has to do with gentrification. Weathered is a show hosted by weather expert Maiya May and produced by Balance Media that helps explain the most common natural disasters, what causes them, how they’re changing, and what we can do to prepare.
Deel dit bericht
- 18-01: Zo hard zijn de oceanen opgewarmd in de afgelopen halve eeuw
- 12-01: Zeewater vangt 90% van opwarming op
- 03-11: Waarom 1,5 graad niet zomaar een getal is
- 03-11: In Europa al ruim 2 graden warmer, dit is hoe het klimaat hier verandert
- 27-10: World close to ‘irreversible’ climate breakdown, warn major studies
- 14-08: Climate endgame: risk of human extinction ‘dangerously underexplored’
- 14-08: 'We're looking at Billions of People not being able to Survive' | Peter Carter, Expert IPCC Reviewer
- 25-07: Best Earth animated global warming projections
- 20-07: Klimaat in Nederland al lang meer dan 2 graden warmer
- 27-06: Climate Emergency Truth- Way Worse
- 27-06: Lukt het op binnen de 1,5 graden doelstelling te blijven?
- 31-05: Greenland Ice Sheet Atmospheric River - Rainfall, Heat and Albedo Feedback Impacts - short version
- 21-04: Four ways climate change will destroy our civilisation
- 23-02: The Antropocene: Where on Earth are we going by Will Steffen.
- 21-12: Sir David King: Climate Leadership, COP26, and 20 Degrees of Warming?